16.3.07

ARCADE FIRE - Neon Bible (Sonovox)

First things first... this band is absolutely huge! This album was a new entry at number 2 on the US Billboard chart and the UK album chart! I don't think I was fully aware of this band's popularity before I checked it. So let's skip the intro, we all know this band...

The Arcade Fire are probably the most melodramatic indie band since The Smiths. The music, the stage shows, the quasi-Victorian image; melodramatic beyond belief and, to be honest, it's an irritating element of the band as far as I'm concerned. But, I'm not sure it would have irritated me quite so much when I was a youngster when things like image have a more profound effect. I mean I liked the Smashing Pumpkins, so it does make sense.

Talking of the Pumpkins, The Arcade Fire remind me of them. I'm not sure what it is... I think it is the overblown pomp of some of their material and how it can be a good thing if the band are good enough to carry it off. They are just really epic in the same way Corgan's lot were. I don't know where I'm going with this comparison but it's a whole lot better than the Springsteen comparisons they've been getting. Note to music press: if a band sounds vaguely folky and is full of pomp, it doesn't automatically sound like The Boss. You lazy bastards.

What's that? The music? Right. The album starts with a quiet song/loud song tag team tactic which might work ok for some people, but I just skip the quiet ones as they are pretty dull and head straight for the energetic numbers. "Keep The Car Running" was a good choice of first single and shows off Win Butler's howling vocals, and "Intervention" is a stompy number with the lyric "Working for the church while your family dies". Nice. It also has a funereal-sounding organ at the start which is fine in the context of the song, but makes me laugh anyway.

The band's diversity does work in their favour sometimes, shown by "Black Waves/Bad Vibrations". Sounding like nothing else on the album, and sung by Régine Chassagne, it sounds like Lene Lovich or a better Siouxsie and the Banshees. "Windowsill" is the best slower song, with some great strings and good dynamics building up towards the end. And "The Well and the Lighthouse" is a terrific upbeat song that almost sounds like a more interesting The Killers.

The best song on the album by far, though, is the amazing "No Cars Go". It's one of the best epic indie-rock songs I've heard for ages. A brilliant melody with the strings and horn section is the first noticeable element, followed by the excellent way the guitar distortion kicks in. The vocals are shared between both Win and Régine equally and complement each other very well, and the song, after kicking down a couple of gears towards the end, introduces an almost Flaming Lips-esque choir with a lovely "woah-oh-oh-oh" melody that's as mournful as it is uplifting. Fantastic stuff.

If only the whole album was of the quality of "No Cars Go"! It would be some album then. But despite the slight inconsistancy anyone who liked "Funeral" will like this, and anyone that doesn't like this band from what they've heard needs to hear "No Cars Go".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neon Bible is great all the way. I love the atmosphere and the amazing mix of musical influences.

I disagree with you - comparisons with Springsteen are more than accurate. Play "Born in the USA" and you will hear some songs that reveal how Arcade Fire was influenced by sounds and emotion of Springsteen.

You're the lazy bastard. I hate the internet for revealing one thousand shitty "reviewers" such as you.

Jack said...

Can something really be 'more than accurate'? And if it can, can something be 'less than inaccurate'? Answers on a postcard to lazy@bastard.org

Paul said...

Interesting fact: a quick Google of the name "DJ Miknoche" brings up nothing but comments praising the Arcade Fire, or badmouthing Celine Dion.

Now, I'm not explicitly stating that DJ Miknoche is in any way involved with any sort of viral marketing company... but I am implying it. Why else would someone only comment on one band, unless the only bands "DJ" "Miknoche" has any opinion on is the Arcade Fire. Erm, and Celine Dion.

Jack can (obviously) stand up for himself, but I think his review is interesting purely because it doesn't follow the same thought pattern as the mainstream press. Neon Bible has received an almost-uncountable number of overwhelmingly positive reviews. I'm glad to see some dissent, even though it just means that someone thought the album was "quite good" rather than akin to "a million simultaneous audio-gasms".

But still: thanks for commenting. Keep reading the blog - even the posts that aren't about the Arcade Fire!